April’s core belief is that Jesus, “the true light, who enlightens everyone, has come into the world” (John 1:8).
April’s calling is to creatively inspire others (and herself too!) to become the effective servants of Christ through spiritual practices and the study of scripture.
April’s mission is to provide resources through writing, preaching, and teaching that are interesting, scholarly, and have immediate application to living life as the servants of Christ.
“I call myself a Red Letter Christian.”
The term “Red Letter” comes from the belief that all of scripture is to be understood through the teachings of Jesus, which were traditionally set apart in some Bibles using a red font. To that end, April endeavors to take Jesus seriously by living out Jesus’s radical, counter-cultural message. She works for peace and social justice, cares for the poor and the oppressed, embraces human diversity and equality, questions religious tradition and culture (including and especially Christianity), and lives as a good steward of the earth.
Her passion is hiking… April and her husband, Steve, have hiked more than 1000 miles in Europe.
* BEE from Ga Tech ’83
* MSEE from Ga Tech ’84
* Married Steve – the love of my life! ’84
* Worked my way to VP of Engineering – Webtone, Telinet, LMI, IBM ’84-’04
* Became a Mom to the most awesome sons! Brent ’86 and Kit ’89
* MDiv from Columbia Theological Seminary ’06
* Ordained PC(USA) Minister of Word and Sacrament ’06
* Pastor of Calvary, Oak Mt, and North Ave ’06-’12
* DMin Gordon-Conwell ’11
* Confirmed in the Episcopal Church ’12
* James in the Suburbs Published by Wipf and Stock ’14
* Dismantling Injustice Published by Wipf and Stock ’16
* Became a mother-in-law to the wonderful and amazing Chanelle ’16
* St. Francis and the Christian Life, Published by Wipf and Stock January 2019.