June 20th is UN World Refugee Day. But is there anything to be happy about?
- Today 65.3 million people are displaced from their homes and homeland.
- 1 of every 113 people on Earth has been driven from their home by persecution, conflict and violence, or human rights violations.
- More than half of the world’s refugees are children (33 million children are refugees)
- There are 10% more refugees this year than last.
Why should Refugee Day matter to the followers of Jesus?
It matters because Jesus, quoting the ancient scripture below from the Old Testament, taught us to live out that scripture — not just when it is convenient, but sacrificially!! What have you sacrificed to help a refugee?
“You shall love your neighbor as yourself” Lev 19:18
Furthermore when Jesus was asked who our neighbor was, we found out that our neighbor was anyone — especially the vulnerable.
So what is good about World Refugee Day? The good news is that you can make a difference! And every time you do good, a bit of the reign of God is manifested on earth. Plus you will feel awesome!
- Google “refugee, <name of your town>, volunteer” for more opportunities. But here are two great ones:
- Vote for candidates locally and nationally who understand that the U.S. needs to support refugees.
Sacrificing for others is the thing to do!
Check out April’s Books, Disorderly Bible Studies, for group and individual study.