I am blogging a daily meditation for the participants (and others!)
of my class on St. Francis…
This is a summary of the Rule of Life that St. Francis wrote for Secular Franciscans:
- Simplicity and humility in dress.
- Practice Fasting. Be temperate in eating and drinking.
- Pray the Lord’s Prayer before meals.
- Practice the Daily Office, Confession, and the Eucharist
- Reconcile with your neighbors.
- No taking up lethal weapons or bearing them against anyone.
- No frivolous oath taking.
- Gather monthly for mass.
- Aid the sick and dying.
Prayerfully consider this rule of life. Could you adopt St. Francis’s rule? How would you modify it?
April describes herself as a Red Letter Christian who writes about scripture and spiritual disciplines. See her latest book, James in the Suburbs: The Disorderly Parable of the Epistle of James. Great for an individual read or group Bible studies! You can follow her blog by clicking on the three dots in upper right hand of this page and scrolling down.